Monday, February 15, 2010

My inspitations

The inspiration for my Molly Gumnut stories often comes from the wonderful wildlife visiting our garden.

Last year, we planted three jacaranda trees and four crepe myrtles. We love sitting outside and admiring the blue bell blossoms of the jacarandas and the beautiful colours of the crepe myrtles.

One morning, I awoke to a loud barking, coughing sound. When I peered out the bedroom window, I was delighted to see a mob of kangaroos. Two large males were bouncing around the garden, punching and kicking each other, while the other ones stood and watched.

Grinning, I grabbed my digital camera and rushed outside. My smile soon vanished when I found those naughty animals had snapped off a branch of one of the crepe myrtles and, to make matters worse, they had eaten some of the flowers. They had also broken off a large branch of one of our jacaranda trees.

The kangaroos ignored my presence and carried on chasing each other around the lawn, pulling at different bushes.

Oh, well, I thought. I may as well film them and get a few pictures with my camera. There's a Molly story there for sure.

See the video and pictures below:

This is the video of the boxing kangaroos outside our bedroom window. Just click on the link to play the video. If you watch it to the end, you'll see the large kangaroo, standing on his tiptoes in an aggressive manner.:




Here is one of the naughty kangaroos.


Another rascal.


Here is our white-flowering crepe myrtle after the kangaroo attack:


We placed a wire fence around this beautiful crepe myrtle to kepp the rascals away.


Here is the branch that was broken off our white crepe myrtle by the boxing kangaroos:

10 comments:

  1. Hi Trish! I'm so glad you joined my blog. I am glad to have your link, too. I will certainly look for your books once you are published! It appears we travel in some of the same blog circles. I'm so jealous that you live in Australia. Life long dream of mine to visit your world down under since my grandparents took a cruise down there twenty five years ago.

    Good luck to you and thanks for connecting! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. Thanks for stopping by. Australia is such a beautiful place to live and I never take it for granted. I'll keep my eye out for your books too, and I'll see you around the other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the kangaroos were giving each other flowers? Hope your trees recover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha. Maybe. Yes, Kate, my trees have recovered. It's amazing to see so many kangaroos bouncing around the garden. They're so entertaining. Pity about the bushes and trees though, but after all, it's their territory. LOL.

    Thanks for visiting again, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't imagine looking in a backyard and seeing a kangaroo. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura. Yes it is amazing and I never take it for granted. I pay back by volunteering at the local wildlife rescue.

    Thanks for visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Molly's name.

    Living in America, I can't imagine kangaroos rummaging through my backyard. We have raccoons that overturn garbage cans. When I lived on Long Island, skunks couldn't get there, but now that I'm in Cambridge, MA we have skunks, which don't seem to do damage, but I can smell them from inside the house when they're around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Theresa. Lovely to see you on my blog. Oh, I love raccoons and skunks. I would love to see them in my garden.

    We recently caught three Antechinus in our house. We released them in the woods near by. They can be mistaken for mice or rats, but they are tint native animals. I'll be adding a new post about them with photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a fantastic scenery. No wonder you write such fabulous children's fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jayde. The scenery in our garden it is fantastic, and I never take it for granted. We’re truly blessed living here. It's Mother's Day here in Australia and I have some beautiful photos to post. My photography always gives me more inspiration, and the photos I'm going to post have inspired two more stories. You'll see what I mean if you come and check my updates.

    Thanks for visiting

    ReplyDelete